Arborist R II
Arborists will support their crews and General Foreman as a production-focused individual with knowledge and experience in all aspects of arboriculture, with expertise in technical removals.
An Arborist R II will have a variety of duties and tasks to perform daily, varying by the type of work being done at each given site. The main priorities are to lead crews and assist General Foremen with arboricultural practices, equipment selection and maintenance, adhering to safety procedures, and interactions with customers .
- Take down and prune trees by climbing and aerial lift truck operations.
- Practice removals of Class 1-4 safely and efficiently.
- Able to perform cable and bracing.
- Work as an arborist/climber.
- Pruning trees and shrubs, hedge shearing.
- Limb and buck trees on the ground.
- Operate a chipper and other specialized equipment, i.e. stump grinder, skid steer, hi-ab, and airspade.
- Tree and plant relocation, installation and transplanting.
- Integrated pest management, PHC diagnosis/treatment, and invasive species control.
- Root pruning and install root barriers.
- Storm cleanup.
- Ensure all work is performed to company and ANSI Z133 Safety Standards.
Equipment, Machine and Tool Use
- Choose and load necessary daily equipment.
- Perform daily inspections of equipment and vehicles.
- Drive vehicles including carpool cars, lift/chipper trucks, or trailers.
- Set up and take down of work site.
- Refuel, sharpen and/or operate a chainsaw.
- Able to practice maintenance on all arborist tools.
- Inspect/maintenance equipment when applicable.
- Clean up of job site.
Safe Work Practices
- Choose and inspect personal protective equipment.
- Inspect worksites and identify hazards.
- Flag vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Complete aerial rescue and lift truck rescue training.
- Lead medium sized crews according to BCPHC’s policies and core values.
- Positively interact with and retain customers, providing information when applicable.
- Accurately document safety records, work orders, tailgates and other correspondence.
- Train apprentices as per competency testing/training, present new tailgates to peers, and lead by example.
- Credentials/Education: Arborist Technician Certification and ISA Tree Worker or obtained shortly after hire.
- Must have 2-4 years of experience in climbing/aerial lift truck operation.
- Proven ability to be a Crew Leader.
- Class 5 Drivers License with Airbrakes Endorsement is required.
- Possess and maintain a First Aid Certificate.
- Pesticide Applicator License is an asset.
- Reports To: Operations Manager, District Manager(s), Safety & Training Officer, General Foreman
- Direct/Indirect Reports: Arborist Apprentices, Crew Members.
- External Reports: Customers, Contractors, and Third-Party Organizations.
- BCPHC performs services for a wide variety or clients all year around in diverse locations from private gardens and backyards, to public spaces, or remote areas.
- Majority of work time is spent in the field operating heavy machinery or hand tools, performing arboricultural services, clean-up, and being courteous to customers.
- Physical fitness and ability to work outside is required for a successful career as an arborist.
- Occasional office work needed to complete paperwork, and attend meetings/training.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Attributes:
- Enjoys hands-on, physical and outdoor work.
- Proactive approach to personal and career growth.
- Works well on teams and crews.
- Effective communication skills – verbal and written.
- Demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy.
- Result-focused work ethic.
- Collaborative and supportive.
- Sensitivity to deadlines and time management.
- Good public relation skills with customers.
- Able to lead and motivate crews, set positive examples.
- Approaches learning and work in a flexible manner.
- Adheres to and promotes strong safety-focused company culture.
- $24.50 – $26.50 per hour, depending on experience.
- Self Directed Benefits Package Employee Carpool Program
- Medical, Dental, and Insurance Options Paid Vacation/Holidays
- PPE Safety Allowance Education/Professional Development Allowance
We thank all those who apply, however, only those requested for an interview will be contacted. Please submit your cover letter and resume, stating the position you are applying for in the subject line, to email@example.com.