Consulting Arborist & Training Provider
Personnel in this position will work closely with the R&D, Consulting & Training Manager, coworkers, clients, and the public providing an abundance of knowledge in arboriculture through written reports, education, and training sessions. The job is a combination of field and office work. The individual will be responsible for producing professional quality reports based on their observations, assessments, data gathered on site, and review of plans and documents. As a Subject Matter Expert in the field of arboriculture, they are a valuable resource to the continuous training and development of staff and the community.
A Consulting Arborist & Training Provider Coordinator will have a variety of tasks to perform daily, varying by the work acquired through the sales and consulting team. The main priorities are to perform field work, tree inventories, tree risk assessments, advise on the preservation of trees, prepare written reports, liaise information to clients, coordinate and provide arboriculture training and seminars, assist with consulting and training sales, and demonstrate a high level of competency and adherence to ANSI Standards, ISA Best Management Practices and Code of Ethics, and company safety policies and procedures. This role includes mentoring those who have career paths in consulting, training, and furthering a career in arboriculture.
- Perform tree resource inventories and management plans
- Perform impact evaluations
- Perform development impact appraisals, and produce tree preservation and tree replacement plans
- Perform tree valuations
- Perform tree risk assessments
- Safely operate and gather data with equipment such as an Urban Forest Metrix®, Airspade®, AirKnife®, TreeRadar® and Resistograph®.
- Ascend trees to perform aerial inspections, obtain observations/data, with experience in performing all duties as a climbing arborist.
- Prepare written reports on all aspects of arboricultural consulting.
- Create detailed visual aids to accompany reports, using photo editing programs, Adobe software and computer-aided drafting systems such as CADD.
- Present data gathered in a comprehensible manner, specific to the intended audience.
- Understand, interpret and apply knowledge of municipal tree bylaws.
- Host or assist the R&D, Consulting & Training Manager in the provision of arboriculture and safety courses and seminars for company staff and/or the public.
- Create lesson/training plans for courses offered to internal and external parties.
- Create visual aids and/or handouts to augment knowledge capture for attendees.
- Demonstrate expertise in course topic areas such as: ISA Certification/Qualification exams, chainsaw safety & operation, aerial rescue, aerial lift truck operations/rescue, basic pruning, tree planting, consulting tools, report writing, etc.
- Follow, abide, and lead by example in all safety policies and procedures established by ANSI Z133 and BC Plant Health Care.
- Support Safety & Training staff in the continuous improvement of company and industry safety standards through review and subject matter expertise.
- Participate in safety meetings and encourage safe work practices to all staff.
- Must be an ISA Certified Arborist and have current ISA TRAQ qualification.
- Must have at minimum (3) three years of comprehensive arboricultural experience.
- Must possess a Class 5 Drivers Licence with Air Brakes Endorsement and without serious contraventions, able to drive company vehicles including trucks.
- Must be proficient in digital photography.
- CADD experience or education is strongly recommended.
- Have knowledge and familiarity of competitors within local demographics, marketing campaigns and sales materials to meet and exceed the industry standards of report writing with a strong emphasis for on-site consulting, tree risk assessment, land use and development, and tree management plans.
Knowledge, Skills & Other Attributes:
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable with public speaking.
- High attention to detail & accuracy.
- Collaborative & supportive of team members.
- Strong interpersonal skills with clients.
- Ability to delegate, prioritize and multi-task.
- Intermediate computer skills in MS Office & CADD software/similar systems.
- Proactive approach to personal & career growth.
- Professional and persuasive written communication.
- Result-focused work ethic.
- Sensitivity to deadlines & time management.
- Flexible with extended hours of work.
- Able to lead & motivate others, set positive examples.
- Adheres to & promotes strong safety-focused company culture.
- Reports To: R&D, Consulting & Training Manager, Operations Manager, District Managers, Safety & Training Officers
- External Reports: Customers, Training Attendees, Contractors, and Third-Party Organizations.
- Can vary depending on consulting projects acquired by sales and consulting team. Outdoor work sites can vary throughout BC Lower Mainland and beyond.
- Work time is split between field work gathering data and office time preparing reports, course content for training, and hosting training seminars/courses.
- Physical fitness is an asset and ability to safely ascend trees may be necessary for jobs.
- $64,000 – $68,000 annually, depending on experience.
- Self Directed Benefits Package
- Medical & Dental
- Safety Allowance
- Life, AD&D, & Critical Illness Insurance
- Company Vehicle
- Paid Vacation/Holidays
- Education/Professional Development Allowance
We thank all those who apply, however, only those requested for an interview will be contacted. Please submit your cover letter and resume stating the position you are applying for in the subject line.