Plant Health Care Coordinator
Assists the Plant Health Care (PHC) manager in delivering PHC treatments, occasional arboriculture work, while providing the highest performance in leadership, safety, quality, efficiency, and customer service.
The PHC Technician will have a variety of duties to perform daily, varying by the type of work being done at each given site. The main priorities are to perform various PHC treatments, pest/disease control measures, organizing and leading field operations, providing motivation and guidance to PHC Technicians, maintain detailed and accurate reporting, and perform arboricultural duties during specific seasons throughout the year.
Plant Health Care
- Drive specialized PHC trucks to various work sites around the Lower Mainland.
- Practice various PHC treatments such as: fertilization, soil amendments, pest and disease control measures.
- Perform soil compaction alleviation.
- Perform deep root injections, watering, and other PHC services.
- Utilize environmentally friendly products to perform PHC treatments.
- Prepare pesticide sprays and other PHC solutions for treatments.
- Assist in scheduling PHC treatments with PHC Manager.
Equipment, Machine & Tool Use
- Choose and load necessary daily equipment.
- Perform daily inspections of equipment and vehicles.
- Utilize specialized mechanical instruments such as: an air spade, skid steer, stump grinder, root exploration devices, and root pruners.
- Perform basic maintenance on equipment and tools used.
- Ensure PHC trucks are prepared, filled, and refueled for each work day.
Safe Work Practices
- Maintain and share knowledge of proper IPM use, handling & storage.
- Attend all safety meetings and role-specific certification classes.
- Choose and inspect personal protective equipment.
- Inspect worksites and identify risks.
- Direct vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
Research, Reporting & Communication
- Research and contribute suggestions to PHC department to ensure use of the most effective environmentally friendly products and methods for pest and disease management.
- Maintain current knowledge of local pest/disease issues.
- Maintain current knowledge of regulations as mandated by the PMRA, Ministry of Environment, and all local municipalities.
- Prepare and maintain impeccable records of personal pesticide use and monitoring forms, reporting, work orders, and equipment maintenance records.
- Prepare and post public notices for pesticide applications or PHC treatments.
- Provide customers with PHC information when necessary.
- Minimum Education: High School Diploma.
- Must be an ISA Certified Arborist.
- Education in Arboriculture, Horticulture, or PHC an asset.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Horticulture/Arboriculture.
- Minimum 2 years of supervisory/leadership experience.
- Current BC Pesticide Applicator Certificate for Landscape and Industrial Vegetation Management.
- Current or intent to shortly pursue ISA TRAQ.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Plant I.D., IPM regulations, pests/diseases and treatment options.
- WHMIS Certificate.
- Class 5 Drivers Licence, Air Brakes Endorsement is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills & Other Attributes:
- Enjoys hands-on, physical & outdoor work.
- Lead by example, motivate and supervise.
- Demonstrates attention to detail & accuracy.
- Collaborative & supportive.
- Able to be flexible with work hours.
- Basic computer skills.
- Strong customer service skills, ability to do sales.
- Approaches learning & work in a flexible manner.
- Proactive approach to personal & career growth.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal & written.
- Result-focused and self-driven work ethic.
- Sensitivity to deadlines & time management.
- Knowledge in arboriculture.
- Genuine interest in plant health and maintenance.
- Able to analyze and solve mechanical issues.
- Adheres to & promotes strong safety-focused company culture.
- Reports To: Plant Health Care Manager, Operations Manager, PHC Coordinator.
- Direct/Indirect Reports:
- External Reports: Customers, Contractors, and Third-Party Organizations.
- BCPHC performs services for a wide variety or clients all year around in diverse locations from private gardens and backyards, to public spaces, or remote areas.
- Majority of work time is spent in the field operating machinery or hand tools, performing PHC/arboricultural services, clean-up, and being courteous to customers.
- Physical fitness and ability to work outside is required year around, with duty modification during specific seasons throughout the year.
- Office work and time needed to complete paperwork, and attend meetings/training.
- $56,000-$61,000 annual salary, depending on experience.
- Self Directed Benefits Package
- Medical, Dental, and Insurance Options
- PPE Safety Allowance
- Employee Carpool Program
- Paid Vacation/Holidays
- Education/Professional Development Allowance
We thank all those who apply, however, only those requested for an interview will be contacted. Please submit your cover letter and resume stating the position you are applying for in the subject line.