Plant Health Care Technician
Assists the Plant Health Care (PHC) department in delivering PHC treatments, occasional arboriculture work, while providing the highest performance in safety, quality, efficiency, and customer service when required.
The PHC Technician will have a variety of duties to perform daily, varying by the type of work being done at each given site. The main priorities are to perform various PHC treatments, pest/disease control measures, maintain detailed and accurate reporting, and perform arboricultural duties during specific seasons throughout the year.
Plant Health Care
- Drive specialized PHC trucks to various work sites around the Lower Mainland.
- Practice various PHC treatments such as: fertilization, soil amendments, pest and disease control measures.
- Perform soil compaction alleviation.
- Perform deep root injections, watering, and other PHC services.
- Utilize environmentally friendly products to perform PHC treatments.
- Prepare pesticide sprays and other PHC solutions for treatments.
- Assist in scheduling PHC treatments with PHC Manager.
Equipment, Machine and Tool Use
- Choose and load necessary daily equipment.
- Perform daily inspections of equipment and vehicles.
- Utilize specialized mechanical instruments such as: an air spade, skid steer, stump grinder, root exploration devices, and root pruners.
- Perform basic maintenance on equipment and tools used.
- Ensure PHC trucks are prepared, filled, and refueled for each work day.
Safe Work Practices
- Choose and inspect personal protective equipment.
- Inspect worksites and identify risks.
- Direct vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
Reporting and Communication
- Prepare and maintain impeccable records of personal pesticide use and monitoring forms, work orders, and equipment maintenance records.
- Prepare and post public notices for pesticide applications or PHC treatments.
- Provide customers with PHC information when necessary.
- Minimum Education: High School Diploma is an asset.
- Education/Training in Arboriculture or PHC an asset.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in Horticulture/Arboriculture.
- Current or will obtain shortly after hire: BC Pesticide Applicator Certificate for Landscape and/or Industrial Vegetation Management.
- Familiar with Plant I.D. and treatment options.
- ISA Certified Arborist is an asset or will pursue
- WHMIS Certificate.
- Class 5 Drivers Licence is required and Air Brakes Endorsement is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Attributes:
- Enjoys hands-on, physical and outdoor work.
- Works well with little supervision.
- Demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy.
- Collaborative and supportive.
- Able to be flexible with work hours.
- Basic computer skills.
- Approaches learning and work in a flexible manner.
- Proactive approach to personal and career growth.
- Effective communication skills – verbal and written.
- Result-focused and self-driven work ethic.
- Sensitivity to deadlines and time management.
- Knowledge in arboriculture.
- Genuine interest in plant health and maintenance.
- Adheres to and promotes strong safety-focused company culture.
- Reports To: Operations Manager, Safety & Training Officer, Plant Health Care Manager, PHC Coordinator.
- Direct/Indirect Reports:
- External Reports: Customers, Contractors, and Third-Party Organizations.
- BCPHC performs services for a wide variety or clients all year around in diverse locations from private gardens and backyards, to public spaces, or remote areas.
- Majority of work time is spent in the field operating machinery or hand tools, performing PHC/arboricultural services, clean-up, and being courteous to customers.
- Physical fitness and ability to work outside is required year around, with duty modification during specific seasons throughout the year.
- Office work and time needed to complete paperwork, and attend meetings/training.
- $20.00 – $25.00 per hour, depending on experience.
- Self Directed Benefits Package
- Medical, Dental, and Insurance Options
- PPE Safety Allowance
- Employee Carpool Program
- Paid Vacation/Holidays
- Education/Professional Development Allowance
We thank all those who apply, however, only those requested for an interview will be contacted. Please submit your cover letter and resume stating the position you are applying for in the subject line.