Utility Arborist – Class A
Arborists will support their crews and General Foreman as an production-focused individual with knowledge and excellent skills in all aspects of arboriculture, with expertise in some domains.
A Class A Arborist will have a variety of duties and tasks to perform daily, varying by the type of work being done at each given site. The main priorities are to lead crews and assist General Foremen with arboricultural practices, equipment selection and maintenance, adhering to safety procedures, and interactions with customers .
- Take down & prune trees by climbing and aerial lift truck operations.
- Practice removals of Class 1-5 safely & efficiently.
- Able to perform cable and bracing.
- Work as an arborist/climber.
- Pruning trees and shrubs, hedge shearing.
- Limb and buck trees on the ground.
- Operate a chipper and other specialized equipment, i.e. stump grinder, skid steer, hi-ab, and airspade.
- Tree & plant relocation, installation and transplanting.
- Integrated pest management, PHC diagnosis/treatment, and invasive species control.
- Root pruning and install root barriers.
- Storm cleanup.
- Ensure all work is performed to company and ANSI Z133 Safety Standards.
Equipment, Machine & Tool Use
- Choose and load necessary daily equipment.
- Perform daily inspections of equipment and vehicles.
- Drive vehicles including carpool cars, lift/chipper trucks, or trailers.
- Set up and take down of work site.
- Refuel, sharpen and/or operate a chainsaw.
- Able to practice maintenance on all arborist tools.
- Inspect/maintenance equipment when applicable.
- Clean up of job site.
Safe Work Practices
- Choose and inspect personal protective equipment.
- Inspect worksites and identify hazards.
- Flag vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Complete aerial rescue and lift truck rescue training.
- Attend all district safety meetings.
- Lead large-sized crews according to BCPHC’s policies and core values.
- Positively interact with and retain customers, providing information when applicable.
- Accurately document safety records, work orders, tailgates and other correspondence.
- Train arborists and apprentices as per competency testing training, present new tailgates to peers, and lead by example.
- Credentials/Education: ITA Utility Arborist Certificate and ISA Tree Worker or ISA Certified Arborist or Post-Secondary Equivalent.
- Must have at least 4 years of experience in climbing/aerial lift truck operation.
- Will pursue ISA Certified Arborist Certificate.
- Proven ability to be a Crew Leader.
- BCPHC’s Training Passport must be completed or accomplished shortly after.
- Class 5 Drivers License with Airbrakes Endorsement is required.
- Possess and maintain a First Aid Certificate.
- Pesticide Applicator License is an asset.
- Reports To: Operations Manager, District Manager(s), General Foreman.
- Direct/Indirect Reports: Arborist Apprentices, Crew Members.
- External Reports: Customers, Contractors, and Third-Party Organizations.
- BCPHC performs services for a wide variety or clients all year around in diverse locations from private gardens and backyards, to public spaces, or remote areas.
- Majority of work time is spent in the field operating heavy machinery or hand tools, performing arboricultural services, clean-up, and being courteous to customers.
- Physical fitness and ability to work outside is required for a successful career as an arborist.
- Occasional office work needed to complete paperwork, and attend meetings/training.
Knowledge, Skills & Other Attributes:
- Enjoys hands-on, physical & outdoor work.
- Proactive approach to personal & career growth.
- Works well on teams & crews.
- Effective communication skills – verbal & written.
- Demonstrates attention to detail & accuracy.
- Result-focused work ethic.
- Collaborative & supportive.
- Sensitivity to deadlines & time management.
- Excellent public relation skills with customers.
- Able to lead & motivate crews, set positive examples.
- Approaches learning & work in a flexible manner.
- Adheres to & promotes strong safety-focused company culture.
- $30.00 – $33.00 per hour, depending on experience.
- Self Directed Benefits Package
- Employee Carpool Program
- Medical, Dental, and Insurance Options
- Paid Vacation/Holidays
- PPE Safety Allowance
- Education/Professional Development Allowance
We thank all those who apply, however, only those requested for an interview will be contacted. Please submit your cover letter and resume stating the position you are applying for in the subject line.